We are looking for a creative thinker and implementer, who will be responsible for overseeing organizational communications to the media, including preparing, pitching, and/or placing interviews, articles, press releases, letters to the editor, and other content initiatives. S/he actively seeks out, cultivates, and manages relationships with TV, print, and high-profile online reporters and producers. The Media Coordinator integrates press and messaging strategies into all organization work, and is passionate about growing, nourishing, and connecting our network of justice-seekers.
A Catholic leader in the movement for justice and peace, NETWORK educates, organizes and lobbies for economic and social transformation. Founded in 1971 by Catholic sisters in the progressive spirit of Vatican II, NETWORK works to create a society that promotes justice and the dignity of all in the shared abundance of God’s creation. Inspired by our founders and the leadership of the women who followed, we faithfully embody Gospel justice as we ignite hope in the world. We are rooted in the Catholic social justice tradition and open to all who share our passion. Our staff is made up of a variety of faith perspectives. Read more.
- Effectively and strategically places NETWORK messaging in the media, including pitching articles, scheduling interviews, producing press releases/advisories, advising letters to the editor, placing op-eds, and creating and overseeing press events
- Builds strategic relationships with media representatives, including cultivating, nourishing, and evaluating those relationships; effectively utilizes technology (Vocus) as needed
- Manages the flow of news about the organization to the media and advocates on behalf of the NETWORK brand with the media across all communications channels and vehicles
- Provides ideas and advice on the effect the organization's actions and legislative activities have in the media, strategizes about what actions and campaigns will attract press attention, and integrates press/messaging strategies into NETWORK campaigns and major projects
- Ensures organizational consistency in all aspects of communication; works to ensure NETWORK protects and promotes its image in an effective, coordinated, and consistent manner
- Evaluates – and responds if necessary to – current events and media reports in key districts/states and the nation for their impact on NETWORK and its issues; remains abreast of current legislative and non-legislative issues about which the organization may be questioned
- Provides talking points and tools for justice-seekers to connect with local media
- Creates and utilizes metrics to measure effectiveness externally: utilizes media-tracking assessment tools (Meltwater)
- Conducts media training for Board and staff
- Has a role in other communication channels: social media, website, magazine, and eAdvocacy
- 4-6 years of progressive professional experience working with traditional media, including 1-2 years working with elected officials, political campaigns, faith-based advocacy, or communications in the nonprofit world; entry-level applicants will not be considered
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations or a closely-related field preferred, but not required
- Strong media and political instincts; a sophisticated understanding of the U.S. media and political landscape
- Outstanding communications and interpersonal skills; Spanish fluency desired
- Extensive experience with pitching stories and landing high-profile TV and print appearances
- An excellent persuasive writer, a thorough fact-checker, and a highly-attentive editor
- Experience in a detail-oriented position that required a high-level of organizational skills
- Ability to work under pressure, work independently and on a team, meet deadlines with quick turnaround and manage multiple projects
- Familiarity with Catholic Social Teaching and/or experience with faith-based organizations is helpful, though not necessary. Experience with disadvantaged populations a plus
- Demonstrated skills in collaboration, initiative, analytical thinking, customer service, relationship-building, flexibility, and leadership
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time position based in Washington, D.C. and reports to the Managing Director. Starting salary in the mid-upper 40s. Generous benefits package available.
TO APPLY: Send a résumé and cover letter – as attachments – outlining your qualifications to email@example.com. Please include “Media Coordinator” in the subject line. You are welcome to include examples of – or links to – relevant past work.
First set of interviews will be taken from applications received by June 1, 2015.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. (PF tipster)