- Communication oversight for Campus Life’s 15 departments, including guiding content, branding, and tone for website, news and social media communication, as well as crisis communication response on issues concerning students.
- Special projects and initiatives within and outside of Campus Life that have student impact.
- Campus Life professional and staff development, including presenting workshops, planning retreats, and onboarding new Campus Life staff.
The Director of Communications assists the Vice President of Campus Life on a range of management duties and special projects that require knowledge of communication, student affairs, and staff engagement and an ability to work with a substantial level of independence, sound judgment, excellent written and spoken communication skills, and discretion in handling confidential information and materials.
This is a fast-paced office environment where the ability to address critical and delicate matters in a thoughtful and expedient manner is imperative. The incumbent must be able to effectively work with a wide range of stakeholders and audiences including university leaders, front-line employees, and students. The incumbent will collaborate across Campus Life and other American University departments on joint projects.
The Office of Campus Life (OCL) is made up of 15 student-focused departments. Our goal is to support AU students on their journey to explore, connect, and grow into global citizens. We strive to create an inclusive campus community that fosters student learning, development, and success. For more information regarding the Office of Campus Life, including previously distributed memos to the community, please visit https://www.american.edu/ocl/
- Directly supervises one full-time staff member: (Web Communications Coordinator)
- Oversees the Professional Development Coordinating Committee
- Frequent evenings and occasional weekends
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Project Leader/Advisor A
- Commensurate with experience
Required Education and Experience
- Minimum of 5 years professional experience
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Highly developed interpersonal skills and problem-solving capabilities
- Ability to work with sensitive and confidential matters
- 2-4 years designing websites and developing online content
- Experience using content management systems and other digital communication, including but not limited to blogs, social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube)
- Knowledge of ADA principles as they related to print and digital communication
- Understanding of design principles and video production
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master's degree
- Experience in higher education and working with students
- Experience producing videos
- Experience with graphic design tools
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful completion of a background check
TO APPLY: Click here. (PF tipster)