JOB OF THE WEEK: Opinion Producer, CNN.com (Atlanta, GA)
24/7 Cable News Network CNN is hiring an Opinion Producer at its worldwide headquarters in Atlanta.
- 3-5 years of experience as an editor for a news organization
- Strong interest in news, public affairs and social/cultural issues.
- Ability to evaluate strengths and weaknesses in opinion writing.
- Strong news judgment.
- Ability to adapt to ever-changing news agenda and tight deadlines.
- Strong familiarity with opinion journalism on the web.
- Excellent editing skills and talent at working with writers.
- Ability to work as part of a team and collaborate effectively with many other platforms at CNN.
- Knowledge of key editing and publishing software.
- Four year college degree.
- Exceptional news judgment and editing skills.
- Lively and deep interest in news developments, politics, government and culture.
- Effective communication skills.
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment.
- Compatibility with other managers as well as network executives and partners.
- High level journalistic skill, editorial judgment and integrity.
- Ability to plan coverage and execute on those plans.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to execute during breaking news situations and under time and deadline pressure.
- Understanding of online, offsite and TV production.
- Flexibility to adapt to various situations and change.
- Eager, energetic and solution-oriented.
- Strong, effective communication skills.
- Well organized
- The opinion producer is responsible for working to develop and sustain a regular flow of lively, insightful and engaging content for CNN.com’s Opinion section, working with the rest of the Opinion team and others at CNN.com and other CNN platforms.
- The producer will monitor ongoing news developments, looking for opportunities for opinion pieces, in text and video, from a wide variety of viewpoints.
- The producer should read widely and contribute to developing an ever-growing bank of thinkers and writers who can comment knowledgeably on key issues.
- The producer will edit opinion articles, seeking to ensure they have impact, meet standards and are factually correct and will produce the pieces in the content management system.
- The producer should help maintain the daily schedule of pieces and work with other key editors, designers, and producers at CNN.com to develop effective visual presentation of opinion content and to support topics being covered by other sections of the site.
- The producer should contribute to showcasing the best opinion content as appropriate on the main page and should monitor traffic to that content.
- The producer should use social media to help spread the word about CNN opinion content. (Mediabistro)