The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, DC. Its mission is to foster leadership based on enduring values and to provide a nonpartisan venue for dealing with critical issues. The Institute has campuses in Aspen, Colorado, and on the Wye River on Maryland’s Eastern Shore. It also maintains offices in New York City and has an international network of partners.
The Public Affairs office within the Communications Department is responsible for media relations and communications support of Institute programs. The team manages the external communications efforts including media placement and response, editorial writing, and communications counsel to Aspen Institute programs.
The Senior Associate, Public Affairs & Social Media supports the VP/Chief External Affairs Officer and Director of Communications & Public Affairs with all facets of social media, media relations, event planning and execution management, and external communications activities for the Aspen Institute at large and its programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist VP/Chief External Affairs Officer and Director of Communications & Public Affairs in all aspects of the Communications department’s work, with a particular focus on social media
- Create content and post/schedule multiple times each day to Institute Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, and other social media accounts. During select seasons, manage and post to satellite accounts, including the Aspen Ideas Festival
- Co-manage regular meetings on social media content and strategy, in order to plan social media strategy for Institute at large
- Consult with various policy programs, in coordination with the Senior Manager, Public Affairs and Policy Program Communications, on their social media presences
- Lead meetings and instructional events to promote best practices among social media practitioners at the Institute
- Support social media needs for myriad public events, on and off site
- Coordinate with underwriters on social media plans and efforts
- Draft and distribute written materials such as news releases, press kit documents, fact sheets, bios, and related correspondence
- Help coordinate myriad events and symposia
- Support and assist programs with planning and executing their press outreach
- Perform research (fact checking, media information, etc.)
- Stay actively informed of activities of the Institute
Interacts routinely with Communications team members, Institute employees at all levels, members of the media, and external constituents.
Knowledge, Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications, political science, or related area, with two (2) to five (5) years of related experience
- Experience working on social media accounts in a professional capacity required
- Working knowledge of media directories, related services, and other media relations tools helpful
- Outstanding writing skills with a focus on detail and accuracy
- Strong organizational skills with ability to complete projects and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to work independently and well with a diverse group of people throughout the organization
- Demonstrated ability to work under tight deadlines
- Web savvy
- Flexible and versatile work style
- Superior computer skills: proficient Microsoft Office; desktop publishing skills a plus
Level of Authority:
- Non-supervisory position
- No budgetary authority
TO APPLY: Visit the Aspen Institute’s career page at www.aspeninstitute.org/about/jobs and follow the instructions to submit a cover letter and resume. The cover letter should highlight applicant’s specific qualifications for this position. Applications without a cover letter may not receive full consideration.
If you have trouble uploading any portion of the application processes, please try using the escape key to exit the screen. Your document should then safely upload.
No phone calls or emails. (PF tipster)