JOB OF THE WEEK: National Association of Manufacturers, Director of Media Relations
The National Association of Manufacturers, headquartered in Washington, DC is seeking an experienced Director, Media Relations to join its award-winning and nationally recognized Communications Department. Details of this exciting opportunity are below.
The Director, Media Relations reports to the Senior Director, Media Relations and is an exempt level position in the Communications Department. This position is an integral part of the strategic communications team who acts as a spokesperson for the NAM. Under the direction of the Senior Director of Media Relations, the Director collaborates with all divisions of the NAM, including the Manufacturing Institute, and understands how to marry the NAM’s goals and messaging with a dynamic news cycle. The Director possesses strong relationships with reporters, columnists, editorial writers, producers, bookers and bloggers. In addition to building and maintaining a press network, the Director is a fast, savvy writer who drafts releases, blog posts, tweets and other communications for the NAM’s diverse audiences. This position requires good judgment, agility and discipline in order to juggle multiple internal clients, projects and deadlines. Candidates with on-the-record experience and a successful track record of working with reporters, producers and bookers will be given strong preference.
Additionally, the Director participates in the NAM’s numerous issue advocacy campaigns by developing and implementing press strategies that will increase the level and quality of the campaigns’ visibility or legislative advocacy. These tactics are measured by earned media coverage, which the Director will track. The Director also will work with the team to make recommendations on adjustments to campaign and legislative communications strategies as needed – drawing from a strong sense of how to package a story based on publication and reporter, tailor messages to target audiences, and utilize NAM member companies and third party surrogates.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
They include but are not limited to the following.
- Works with policy staff to develop and communicate manufacturers’ positions on public policies to members of the media.
- Build and manage relationships with press corps covering issues on which the NAM is engaged; field and evaluate requests from national and regional media; seek out opportunities to generate earned media opportunities for NAM executives and policy experts.
- Understand all social media platforms and use them effectively.
- Writing and editing with skill and speed whether press releases, blogs, opinion editorials, letters to the editor, briefing memos, or tweets.
- Demonstrate ability to translate information about complex issues for broad audiences quickly and succinctly.
- Develop relationships with key NAM staff, representatives of member companies and policy coalitions, master subtle nuances of policies and advance the NAM agenda.
- Serve as staff support to NAM President and other senior officers during press events, which may include travel.
- Work collaboratively, perform well under pressure, and manage multiple priorities and projects effectively.
- Show attention to detail and accuracy, as well as good judgment in situations with the media, NAM leadership, staff and member companies.
- Provide strategic communications advice and earned media support.
- Set up and manage press events.
- Track media coverage in real-time and manage NAM earned media records.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, political science, English or related discipline;
- 5-8 years of communications experience;
- Experience as a press secretary and familiarity with both legislative and executive branches preferred, but not required;
- Collaborative style and demonstrated effective written and verbal communications skills essential;
- Experience interacting with and briefing high ranking officials and executives;
- Ability to work as part of a team and handle pressure in a deadline driven environment;
- Ability to travel domestically in support of NAM principals.
TO APPLY: Click here. (PF tipster)