JOB OF THE WEEK: National Retail Federation, Director of Media Relations
The National Retail Federation (NRF) is seeking a Director, Media Relations to develop and execute short and long-term media campaigns to garner press coverage and awareness of NRF’s policy and advocacy agenda and support the organization’s strategic goals.
- Proactively builds press awareness of NRF campaigns, issues and events
- Writes press releases, media advisories, Op-Eds, blog posts and executive briefing documents
- Develops and maintains relationships with Washington, D.C. media contacts from traditional and emerging media outlets
- Identifies targeted media opportunities to increase brand awareness and profile of the NRF brand and its senior leadership team
- Maintains an acute understanding of policy issues including their history, current activity and future developments
- Works with policy team to develop and maintain content to support PR and Advocacy sections of NRF website
- Represents NRF to the public through a variety of media outlets as an association spokesperson
- Manages the tracking and reporting of NRF media hits
- Offers insight and understanding about leveraging new and emerging media technology to strengthen public awareness of key issues among target audiences
- Performs other related duties as assigned
The successful candidate will have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Communications/Journalism.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in increasingly responsible staff positions handling multiple media relations duties on a full-time, daily basis with comparable direct experience handling federal government and policy issues.
- Must have a portfolio of successful past media placements, specifically demonstrating results with political and government media.
- Established relationships with Inside the Beltway and national media – including print and television producers.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and analyze complex issues and situations and to provide thoughtful media relations strategy.
- Outstanding judgment, writing, speaking, organizational and interpersonal skills; Must communicate effectively and persuasively in a variety of environments.
- Ability to write about a variety of legislative issues for diverse audiences through multiple channels.
- Background experience working on a political campaign, on Capitol Hill, at a trade association, and/or in print/broadcast media experience is a plus.
- Understanding of social media platforms to enhance overall reach and breadth of messaging.
- Proven excellence in successfully juggling multiple and often high-pressure deadlines with an extraordinary attention to detail.
- Some travel required.