JOB OF THE WEEK: Information Technology and Innovation Foundation (ITIF), Communications Director
The Information Technology and Innovation Foundation (ITIF) seeks a Communications Director to increase its exposure in the press, expand its social media footprint, and enhance its reputation as America’s most influential science and technology think tank. This position reports to ITIF’s chief operating officer.
The communications director’s primary responsibility will be to publicize all of this activity. It is an exciting opportunity for an energetic media-relations professional to deepen their policy expertise and influence important public debates.
- Plan and execute an ongoing media-relations program that enhances ITIF’s reputation as a thought leader among U.S. and international policymakers by measurably increasing its press exposure.
- Build new relationships and deepen existing ones with reporters, commentators, editors, and producers in the business, technology, and political press—including national newspapers, trade publications, broadcast outlets, and influential blogs.
- Drive coverage of ITIF reports, place op-eds, and build press interest in major ITIF events.
- Partner with ITIF’s digital media specialist to expand the organization’s social media footprint, including on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
- A minimum of five to seven years’ experience with increasing levels of responsibility for planning and executing robust media-relations programs.
- Strong track record of getting measurable results through media outreach, including placing op-eds and generating coverage for topical research reports and events.
- Hands-on experience with media-engagement software such as Vocus, knowledge of technology issues, and existing relationships with technology, business, and policy reporters is preferred.
- Strong writing and editing ability is essential, including sharp press releases, blog posts, and op-eds.
- Proven ability to handle multiple communications projects at once.
- Thorough understanding of digital communications is a must, including the fundamentals of website management.
- Practical experience and sound judgment using social media to raise the profile of an organization and engage in public issues.
- Strong understanding of public policy is essential. Previous experience on Capitol Hill or in the Washington office of a public relations or public affairs agency would be a plus.
Salary and benefits: Competitive salary is commensurate with experience and includes a health benefits package, generous paid vacation, annual performance-based bonus, and public transportation benefit.
TO APPLY: Please send a résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note in the subject line of your email that you are applying for the Communications Director position, and please explain in your cover letter why you are interested in joining ITIF and how your experience and qualifications align with the goal of enhancing its reputation through an ongoing media-relations program. (PF tipster)