JOB OF THE WEEK: AFL-CIO, State Communications Director
The Communications Department carries the voice of America’s working families to the media, to leaders and to the general public through earned and social media, online platforms and other communications vehicles.
The State Communications Director will be responsible for the strategic direction of the department, specifically including but not limited to:
- Leading strategy for field communications at the national and state levels and building communications capacity in the field, developing programs and trainings on national message and communications approaches;
- Managing and developing field communications and state communications staff;
- Managing the development of training and booking of worker spokespeople;
- Helping develop message strategy and cohesion for the AFL-CIO with allies, and affiliates and represent the AFL-CIO among allies and other organizations for the Communications department.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
- Develop and implement plans for unions to reconnect with and win higher approval from key public audiences through a robust communications strategy using the full range of media in states across the country;
- Oversee field communications staff in developing messages and communications support for repositioning unions, bargaining and organizing campaigns, state battles, political and legislative campaigns as well as other programs and mobilization
- Oversee the writing and execution of news releases and toolkits and the development and placement of op-eds;
- Develop and oversee national communications trainings that can be replicated across the country;
- Proactively identify opportunities for message cohesion opportunities among affiliates and allies;
- Manage and develop the field communications staff and a network of communicators across the country;
- Train and lead staff at varying levels;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Work with communicators at the affiliate, state and local levels to plan media events, coordinate consistent message delivery and provide communications support for activities of the labor movement at every level.
- Work with communicators at allied organizations and with elected leaders and activists on media and communications strategy around joint efforts and initiatives.
- Work with the Campaigns, Political, Organizing and other departments as needed to ensure the delivery of communications support.
- A bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or other related field required.
- Minimum of five to six years performing pro-active media outreach and communications.
- Experience with advocacy organizations a plus.
- Familiarity of labor movement required, with labor movement experience preferred.
- Excellent leadership skills including experience managing or leading a staff team.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills with demonstrated ability to meet competing deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Superior writing skills including experience writing Op-Eds, press releases, fact sheets and other media related materials.
- Excellent verbal communications skills.
- Strong commitment to social justice.
- Flexibility to travel as required in performance of duties.
- Ability to work long and extended hours including on weekends.
TO APPLY: http://aflcio.hirecentric.com/jobs/ (PF tipster)